Meeting Arun Tiwari, Dr.Abdul Kalam’s Friend & Co-Author of ‘Wings of Fire’

Tomorrow should be an interesting day. As part of a consulting gig I do for Satyam Computer Services, I get to meet Arun Tiwari, better known as the co-author of Abdul Kalam’s bestselling biography ‘Wings of Fire’.

Just like most of us, I knew nothing about Arun Tiwari, until I got an email saying that tomorrow morning I’m part of a team meeting him. Heck, I did not even know he was the co-author of the book, even though I read it.

And so, I googled him… and came up with interesting facts.

a) Arun is a missle scientist who worked along with Kalam on ‘Trishul’ and ‘Akash’ missiles.

b) He is credited with designing the country’s first titanium bottle used to power missiles.

c) He, along with Kalam, designed the indigenous coronary stent used in by-pass surgeries known as the Kalam-Raju stent.

d) He designed the country’s first satellite-based telemedicine system.

e) He was the first non-medical director of the Cardiovascular Technology Institute at Hyderabad.

f) He doesn’t have a Wikipedia entry, which is a shame. I should start a page on him later in the day.

Here’s short piece on him by The Hindu and an interview at Rediff.com.

1. Hi Kiruba,

You have have inspired to blog, it is a great expereince,do thing blog can also be kind of self journal or does it neccessarily have to be a communicative tool.

2. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 2:54 am

Hi Mr. Kiruba ,
    it is not wise to say : “most of us dont know Arun Tiwari’ It would be better to change it. as most people who follow kalam and his books know of Mr Arun Tiwari. when a a good book is read , you read all acknowedgements and people credite for the book’s making.
    I hope you are aware that a short documentary film on Kalam is being filmed by a tamilian director.

Neverthless you are fortunate to meet great people and I appreciate your blog.

Murali- Toronto

3. subrat nayak Says: May 27, 2009 at 2:54 am

great to see this…. lets see how it feels to be with him..

i myself have always dreamed of being a scientist, and it ll be my first interaction with a real big scientist..

4. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 2:54 am

Hi

Point number one: Just because you don’t know him does not mean, that most don’t know him

Point number 2: Is it ok to use “Googled” as a verb?

5. karthik Says: May 27, 2009 at 2:55 am

Hi kiruba….

your each and every article is very intresting…
    i really became a fan of your blog…

6. Madhushala Says: May 27, 2009 at 4:26 am

Do you honestly think you are the right person for this interview? I wonder because you have shown how little you know about the man and his body of work.

7. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 4:26 am

What King Khan (KK) is to Bollywood, King Kiruba (KK) is to internet.

Kiruba Rocks !!!

8. castafiore Says: May 27, 2009 at 4:27 am

madhushala, Please read the blog post carefully before commenting. Kiruba says that he got a surprise email that said he is part of a team meeting him. He never said he wanted to interview him.
    did you go to madhushala before commenting? or did you have a chillum or something?

9. sattanathan Says: May 27, 2009 at 4:27 am

please do write about your talk with esteemed dr.tiwari. It will be very interesting to get a laymans perspective on important matter sof science

10. Sonal Darbari Says: May 27, 2009 at 4:27 am

Talking about advancement, huh?
    Look at: http://www.498a.org