Authoring a Technology Column in New Indian Express

I’ve been invited by the editor of The New Indian Express to author a tech column. It’ll be a weekly column where I talk about interesting tech developments in an easily digestible language. The first of the series appeared today.

Haven’t decided on the name of the column though. Apparently the paper fixes the column names. But I’m sure they’d be open to ideas. I’d love to hear from you of interesting ideas.

My run with authoring columns has seen its fair share of ups and downs. Back in 1997, I authored a column for DQ Week (Data Quest Week) called Net @ttitude and wrote about interesting stuff online. It still remains my favorite till date. Had a decent response. Must’ve lasted close to an year.

I moved this column later to ChennaiOnline.com and it stayed there for close to six months.

I later wrote a column called ‘Net Results’ for the now-defunct IndiaInfoline.com. Internet information relating to the financial market. Didn’t last for more than 3 months. A failure.

Then followed a fairly high paying gig at ITspace.com during the IT boom. They even flew me to Bangalore to sign the contract and put me up in a 5 star hotel. Splurged. Not surprisingly, they over burned and shut shot after 5 months. This must be around 2001.

What followed next will be the biggest opportunity missed. I got an invite from The Hindu to write a column for the Sunday Magazine. I started off with a couple of pieces and for some reason I slowed down on my writing and eventually the opportunity bypassed me. I still kick myself when I think about what I had missed.

A brief stint with Economic Times followed where I wrote about half a dozen pieces for Madras Plus. My bad luck caught up with me when the Editor who chose me quit her job and the new Editor brought on changes. Damn! Just when I was beginning to think this might last…

So, as you can see, I don’t have the best of runs for Column. Yet, almost with amazing consistency, I keep getting offers to author column. The New Indian Express is the latest and I’m really hoping that I make this work longer than any before. Wish me luck, fellas!

1. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:42 am

All The very Best!
    -Patrick Manoj

2. Hey congratulations and all the very best !!!

One correction in your post – Must’ve lasted close to an year – should be “a year” and not “an year” 🙂 …

3. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:43 am

nobody reads indian express and further to find kiruba’s column would be a discovery

4. Loads of luck Kribs! 🙂

5. hi kiruba

indian express newspaper has a small subscriber base, but the vitality of the information and the impact that it created to our nation’s development is quite good.
    i m a regular reader for the past 15 years.

cool to know that i will be reading ur columns in my favourite newspaper

is ur column published in metro region or throughout tamilnadu?

congrats gentleman.

all the very best.

srini

6. good luck dude.

7. Well, never to worry. As I interacted with you before, I think dead-tree format newspapers will be dying pretty soon anyways. And you have the new media thing down pat. Probably the Hindu opportunity will re-visit you once they wake up to the web phenomenon (I say that because I generally shudder at their online site :D). Then the NIE experience would help, of course 😉

8. krishnan Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:45 am

Uhmmm; finally you’ve joined the elite league of your good friend Nilu, who also pens a column for the New Indian Express. 🙂

9. All the best Kiruba

10. alex.bén Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:45 am

Good Luck Mate!

11. SelvaOnline Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:46 am

Congrats and All the Best Mr.Kribs.

12. aditya venkatesh Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:46 am

one gentle correction – shut shot should be shut shop

13. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:46 am

May god bless Indian Express.

‘The Hindu’ and Economic Times got the wind and escaped from your ramblings.

Tech Column by Kiruba, I am really sorry, can’t stop from ROTFL.

My mind says “pity Indian Express” but my heart says congratulations Kiruba.

Title, I would suggest is
    1. Kiruba’s UnTech (read as Kiruba’s You and Tech).
    2. Kiruba’s Tech Ramblings
    3. Kiruba Rocks.

14. Title, I would suggest wud be “In-Tech”.

15. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:47 am

What About…

Tech Treat!!!!

16. If it is about changing technology then I suggest first thing is to tell the Indian people that technology is not a synonym of software. Take examples of abundantly used things. e.g. How much electronics goes into a car now a days etc.
    Wish you success.

17. Kiruba Shankar Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:48 am

Thanks everyone for your support, advices and choice of names for the column. Appreciate it.

With warm regards,

18. Kiruba’s Korner with a “k” or prolly you could try “Unwanted tech gyaan” or “Geeks, don’t read this!!” and actually fill it up with interesting stuff!! Today’s people will definitely read whtever’s not supposed to be read!! 🙂

All the best!!

Bobby

19. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:49 am

Congrats ! Will the articles be available online ?

20. all the best

21. princeparas Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:50 am

All the Best .

22. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:50 am

Tech on your way

23. hi kiruba nice artical indian express newspaper has a small subscriber base,

24. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:51 am

I have a small tech question.

Would Congress & other secular parties use RSS feeds ?? Is there any other alternative to RSS feeds ??

25. Congrats.

26. sandeep varma Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:52 am

‘techkribs’ can be the title, anyway ll the best kribs

27. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:52 am

How bout Tech Xpress
    -Anand.Dallas.

28. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:53 am

How about Kiruba’s Hot Turds or A turd’s hot Kirubas or Kiruba’s Tech Droppings?

29. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:53 am

hi kiruba…the title i wud suggest is Tech Drive

30. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:54 am

Nobody reads the IE an anonymous person stated here: tell that to the 480,000 to 1,050,000 (which ever survey figures you care to choose) who read it. Well done on the column…. and finally it seems, the NIE is getting its act together (Friday Splurge mag and more to come they say)

31. Anonymous Says: May 27, 2009 at 12:54 am

Kiruba Bytes – 🙂 sounds evil
    Tech Kribs
    Kribs on tech
    wired by Kriuba
    plugged by Kribua
    E Kribs
    kribs wired
    Kribs on giga news

oh it helps to be in advertising.. one really rattle of a zillion names

cheers with that